The end of my midweek weekend

13 Nov

It’s been great having Andy off work. We agreed that he would take the 2 or 3 AM feeding since he can fall asleep on command and I can’t return to sleep to save my life. I am getting better at falling back asleep after I get up to feed Eli but some nights it just doesn’t work. Since sleeping through and getting up for the 6 AM feeding would leave me in infinitely better spirits were I not to return to sleep, Andy’s been taking the middle of the night. Granted, his ability to sleep really well means he doesn’t usually wake up once Elliott starts squawking but a swift kick loving nudge is enough to arouse him and then he’s straight up and on duty. It’s been working pretty well and I think everybody is getting enough sleep. Jinx!

So tomorrow Andy’s on for 8, then off Saturday, then 12 Sunday, then I think 4 days of 8s? After the 12 hour shifts, the 8 hour days seem really short to me, particularly since I usually don’t even wake up for the day until around 10:30 AM due to the 3 and 6 AM feedings. Once I manage to get a shower and get cleaned up and Eli fed, it’s usually around 1 or so. The schedule I’ve been keeping him on has gotten a little messed up with Andy being off work but not too badly.

We’ve been trying to get out and about since I’ve been feeling a little more lively and it’s getting pretty tiresome to be trapped in the house all the time. We’ve tried to take Eli out for walks a few times this week but the weather forced us back inside. Not enough rain to rule out a walk outright but once you are out in it the rain is just heavy enough to make you reconsider. We’ve managed to get some errands done but today the sun was out and we got in a decent walk around Ballard. It wasn’t much–probably only a mile or so but I was really happy I was able to walk that much without feeling pretty rundown afterwards. Of course, as soon as we got home all three of us sat down (well, Eli was placed down) on the bed and everyone fell asleep. Nice afternoon nap!

We went and ate at La Isla for lunch and bought some footed sleepers for Eli. Keeping him warm at night has been a challenge as the kid is forever riding an invisible bicycle and his legs constantly pedal, kicking off any swaddle or blanket covering him. We finally got some video up and I hope everyone has been enjoying it. He’s a pretty alert kid for 2 weeks (or so people tell me). There’s not really much of a middle ground for him. He’s either in a baby coma or bright eyed and checking things out. His whole dozing process generally takes about 2 minutes before he’s out like a light. He is starting to “talk” a little more–now if we lay him down after a feeding, he’ll sometimes chat with himself for about 15 or 20 minutes before he falls asleep. I try to remember not to always rock him to sleep and to put him down drowsy so he will learn to fall asleep on his own as well. There’s so many things to try to remember!

We’ve been incorporating more tummy time lately. For a kid with a substantial noggin, he’s getting pretty good at supporting it upright for small periods and picking his head up and turning it left and right. He doesn’t complain about tummy time too much although right now supposedly he’s having tummy time and he instead just passed out cold on the mat. Andy did his best to try to wake him up and get him moving–even started tapping him on the side of the face–but all Eli did was pick his head up, turn his face away from Andy, then put it back down and went back to sleep. I guess it accomplishes everyone’s goals that way, right?

We’ve been having a lot of frustration around scheduling his circumcision–although they usually do it in the hospital shortly after birth, Eli was having such a hard time feeding that they didn’t want to introduce anything else that might distress him. So our OB told us to call and schedule it once he was eating well. I have been trying to get it scheduled for days when Andy is off and after my parents leave on the 3rd. I figured it would be nice if they got to see happy, alert Eli and not, well, I sure would be cranky in that instance. Our OB and the hospital neglected to tell us there is a sort of time limit–we had one month to get it scheduled before the childbirth center would refuse to do it and instead refer us to a urologist. So I then tried to schedule it after my parents had been here for several days–I figured they’d get happy baby for 5 or 6 days then could help out with the comforting if he’s fussy while Andy is at work. No dice. Now the doctor’s office says that even that is too close to the month mark. All I could get was the 18th at noon–a day Andy is scheduled to work AND the day before my parents get here (um, sorry about that). He’s going to take off early that day so I don’t have to take him on my own but it’s frustrating nontheless. Had we known this would be such an issue we would have opted to have them go ahead and do it in the hospital and have done with it. I’m hoping that Eli will be the cuddly cranky baby sort but I’m not holding my breath.

We had our 2 week appointment last Monday and Eli topped out at 8 lbs, 7 oz. That’s 6 oz up from his birth weight and a full pound up from the appointment a week prior. What a chunk! He’s eating an average of 3 oz every 3-4 hours although sometimes he eats more, sometimes less. He’s 21 1/2 inches long (1/2 inch growth) and I seem to have blocked out how big his head is now. We’re still trying to get some photos for the birth announcements. Andy took some funny ones today that we should be posting in the next day or two.


2 Responses to “The end of my midweek weekend”

  1. wendy November 13, 2008 at 10:09 pm #

    that is awesome, glad everything is going so well for you! have you tried the ‘sleepy sack’ we sent (i don’t know what they are officially called, that is what we called them)? we had 4 of them and they worked like a charm!

  2. Aunt Marcie November 15, 2008 at 4:27 pm #

    Hi Erin! What a beautiful boy Eli is. I love the pics & videos. He does look very alert & interactive for a 2 week old. I can’t wait to snuggle him in Shreveport.
    Love to you, Andy, and Will,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: