Happy 1 Month, Eli!

29 Nov

What?  A month?  Really?  What just happened?

There’s a lot of ways that I can DEFINITELY believe it’s been a month but there are more ways that it seems like he just got here a week or so ago.  Cliche, cliche, it’s moving really fast.  Last Tuesday (the 25th) he weighed a hefty 9 lbs, 12 oz.  He’s got cheeks on him that are very smooshable and his legs are starting to flesh out a little bit.  He’s downright impatient if you don’t feed him fast enough and the microwave doesn’t seem to pacify him much anymore.  He’s not sure what he thinks of diaper changes.  Sometimes they’re fine and he’ll just hang out and chat with you while you take care of business but other times changes are akin to pulling out his tiny little nails one by one.  He has yet to land on a schedule that works consistently but generally is down for the night by midnight with a 3ish and 630ish waking for food.  He dozes on and off most of the morning, is generally awake in the early afternoon and (hopefully) takes a big nap around 3 or 4.

My parents have been here for a week and a half and have been a HUGE help.  They’ve helped a lot with the baby wrangling.  Andy and I managed to get out for a date night, we went to Will’s jazz band performance, and a lot of walks around the neighborhood sans baby.  Although they don’t do middle of the night feedings (they’ve served their time with that), they’ve been great to pass Eli off to at 9 AM so I can sleep a little longer.  Thanksgiving was great, my mom made a ton of food and everybody contributed.  I will definitely miss all the help and company once they go back to Shreveport.  I’m sure Eli will miss his Lolly and Pop, too.  He’s gotten quite used to taking naps on them.

Andy started a string (3) of nights last night.  We’ve noticed that Eli has been getting a bit overstimulated in the late evening the last few days.  If we don’t nip it in the bud, it can take anywhere from 1-3 hours to calm him down!  Last night I noticed that he was super fussy around 10:15 and took him back to the bedroom to calm down.  Although he didn’t finally go down for the night until midnight, it was a marked improvement over the previous night when he cried on and off for two hours before finally falling soundly asleep.  Last night it still took him a while to fall asleep but once I got him back in the bedroom with the lights low and the white noise machine on, he calmed down immediately and just hung out.  Actually, he usually goes to bed for the night anywhere from 11-midnight so it wasn’t really far off.  That’s really good information for Andy and I to have about how Eli ticks.  I need to keep an eye out for any more signs of overstimulation–I think I’m going to bring him back to the room at 10 tonight to see if I can head off the crankiness before it kicks in.

Parenthood seems to be a continuing exercise of trying new tricks to see what works.  And just because it works one day (or one minute) doesn’t mean it will work the next.  It’s purely exhilarating and also purely exhausting sometimes.  It reminded me of all the people who kept asking me if I was “ready” right before he was born–I’m beginning to think that’s an inside joke with parents.  You ask the about to be new mom if she’s ready and chuckle to yourself.  Because I knew I wasn’t ready–I had no idea what I was getting myself into so how could I be ready?  But MAN, I was NOT READY. The sleep deprivation (oh, for the love of a 6 hour block of uninterrupted sleep, how I miss thee), the constant need to be “on” in case Eli needs something, the never ending game of Poop? Hungry? Wet? Burp? Tired? and there’s no clock to punch at 5 PM and go home.  It’s all the time.  It’s so, so worth it, though.  I mean, have you SEEN that gas smile picture?  Come on!

Personally, I think he’s trying to smile.  You can see it in his eyes.  He’s not talking quite as much as he was a week or two ago but he’s still got moments where he can be quite chatty.  He loves his car seat and naps in it quite a bit.  He’s rocking the baby acne right now but hopefully it’ll clear up soon.  His hair is still up in the air.  He’s got more fuzz than he had a few weeks ago but the color continues to remain a mystery.  It usually looks blond.  Wet, it looks red.  Sometimes it looks like a brownish blond.  Andy and I (and I think Will, too) are so, so happy the little guy is here.

Happy one month, Eli!  We love you, little man.


2 Responses to “Happy 1 Month, Eli!”

  1. Sue November 29, 2008 at 3:40 pm #

    I just love hearing your “new mom” stories.

    And I totally agree — that is no “gas” smile in that picture. He knows exactly what is so funny!

    Can’t wait to see you guys.

  2. Carrie November 30, 2008 at 4:36 pm #

    Happy 1 month, Eli! If he’s responding to something you’re doing, then he’s smiling. I guess it’s technically possible that he could be passing a gas bubble at the EXACT moment that you’re being funny and cute, but what are the odds, really?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: