In which the Universe proves Erin wrong, again.

28 Jul

Since switching Eli to his toddler bed, he’s done really well. He NEVER gets out of it unless we say it’s okay (I’m still not sure what that’s about) and he’s slept as good as ever. When we first changed it, I padded the side of his bed with a lot of blankets just in case there was a roll out and after a week of smooth sleeping, I decided to put them back up. He fell out the next day.

It was a bit of a trauma fall but he was otherwise fine. He cried for a few minutes and went back to bed without a problem. I put the blankets back on the floor and left them there for several weeks but still….no roll outs. After two weeks I decided he had a handle on it and put them back up. Several days later, roll out #2. Still no injury, nothing big, a few minutes of crying and he went back to bed, right as rain.

See where I’m going with this? You’re on Facebook, so I know you do.

The other night we put him to bed and all was good. Andy and I even commented about how proud we were of ourselves for going to bed so early–we turned out the light at 9:30 PM–what a great amount of sleep we’ll have! Go us! Eli had a touch of nasty diaper rash and the runs that day but it seemed to settle down. I promptly went into what I can only assume was a sleep coma…I had run 3 miles for the first time in several weeks that day and in addition to work, I was pretty beat.

Around 11:30 I woke up but I am not really sure what woke me up. I remember hearing Andy go into Eli’s room and then hearing Eli crying and he took him into the bathroom. I sort of remember thinking that Eli’s diarrhea had come back but why was he taking him into the bathroom? And why was Eli screaming like THAT? He sounded really, really upset. I got up and stumbled to the bathroom to see what was up. Andy had Eli sat on the edge of the bathtub. Eli turned to me when I walked in and his entire face was covered in blood. I have no idea if just the depth of sleep kept me from completely losing it or some maternal instinct kicked in (“you stay calm so he will calm down”) but I just sort of acted like it was not that big of a deal. Andy explained what he thought had happened (nosedive out of the bed, straight onto the floor on his nose and mouth) and I just motioned for him to hand me the child. Eli relaxed a little once he was handed to me but still fought us trying to clean the blood off his face. I explained to Eli that we needed to clean him a little to see what was going on and I really think he let us as much as he could but he was really hurting. We could see his nose had bled and was swelling and his top lip was REALLY swelling and was split on the inside. We cleaned him off enough to tell that he had stopped bleeding then decided to halt all first aid until we had calmed him down. I picked him up and walked him around the house, singing “The Ants Go Marching One by One” (he thinks that song is rather funny these days) until he was quiet. Then we were able to get a decent look at things enough to know there were no significant injuries and mostly just a lot of blood.

Andy’s shirt was covered in it and we put a towel over my shoulder so Eli could put his head down and that ended up pretty soaked too. After about 45 minutes, I sat down in the recliner with him and just quietly whispered whatever came to mind–that he’s okay, that’s it’s just an owie, that he will feel better in a few days but will be sore but he’s fine–and after a few minutes in the recliner (with those sobbing gasps of the truly upset toddler–God, those are heart wrenching!), he calmed quickly and then he fell asleep on me. We woke him up after several minutes to check his injuries again to make sure nothing was bleeding, made him mad by cleaning the blood off a little more, and then put him in our bed to sleep for the rest of the night. The entire episode lasted from about 11:30-12:45. Once I knew Eli was solidly asleep, I had a little cry and let all the panic out. I didn’t fall asleep until about 2:30. Although I knew he was fine, he was so congested from the nosebleed I kept startling awake to listen to his breathing. I was awake almost every 30-45 minutes to check on him. Of course, he was fine. I am so lucky nothing worse was wrong.

I kept him home the next day and aside from some jerky behavior in the morning which we will chalk up to fatigue (I think we all kept waking up a lot and he woke up awfully early for the day, about 6:15) he’s been totally fine. He doesn’t like us touching his face right now and I expect it’s pretty sore. He’s got a nasty looking scab today (day after) and he keeps wiping his nose with his hand because it itches. He pulled half the scab off a little while ago and promptly lost it because we tried to clean it up after that. He calmed quickly and now he’s down for the night.

I am so thankful he didn’t really hurt himself, other than superficially. His teeth are fine, he’s been eating chips and crackers with gusto and really seems to have no lingering effects from it, not even regarding sleeping in his bed. I have ordered some bumpers that should be here in a week or so and until then, that thick padding of blankets are at his bedside and will not move. We’re debating moving him into the full size bed soon just to get the transitions done already and the bumpers work well them.

My little boy is bruised up but otherwise okay. Just another thing to be thankful for.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: