The end of the mellow

16 Jul

Ben is turning out to be quite a handful.  When I left Seattle last Wednesday, he was crawling around and getting into things here and there but nothing too bad.  I have returned to a small mobile tornado, capable of whipping open drawers and relieving them of their contents in .2 seconds flat.  To our chagrin we have not baby proofed and we are really paying the price for that.  He is in EVERY SINGLE DRAWER HE CAN REACH.  Luckily he can’t reach the top ones quite yet (give him another two hours at this rate) but he has managed to pull most everything out of the ones below that.  He has also managed to (we think) open a few doors, namely the basement door, so we are keeping a closer eye on keeping the baby gate locked (it is installed at the top of the stairs) even when the door is shut.  He seems overall much more energetic than Eli at this age–he loves to be repeatedly flipped, he wants nothing more than to be tossed up or around or on sofas, he loves climbing over things/people and rolling over and sometimes landing not so softly at which point he’ll sit for a second and look stunned then start climbing again.  He’s not much of a cuddler and if he could spend the rest of the days pulling my hair out, he’d be happy.  I wish I were kidding but I have a halo of short hairs around my head that attest to this really painful fact.  This kid has ripped A LOT of hair out of my head.  He got a fistful today and afterward I thought I was bleeding because he got so much.  He has a grip!  It doesn’t help that when I am yelling for him to let go he usually laughs.  Second kids!

He is practicing his walking.  I think he still has a while since he doesn’t really try to do it on his own but if you set him in front of this toy, he will walk:

He starts Berry Patch next week.  I am sure he will be fine.  He’s had a bit of separation anxiety about me lately–which is more than Eli ever had (which is none) but it seems to only show up when he’s being left with Andy, or Andy’s holding him and I’m in view, etc.  If he’s with Andy and Ben can’t see or hear me, he’s totally fine.  If I leave him with others, Ben seems so distracted by the novelty of it that he doesn’t complain.  I can’t believe he’s old enough to start BP–he’s going to be ONE in a few weeks!

His top two teeth are coming in nicely.  He’ll eat almost anything you put in front of him and I’m smart enough now to realize that I don’t have a miracle eating child, he’s just young enough to not get caught up in his own opinions of You Can’t Make Me.  His favorites are mashed potatoes, pasta, cooked carrots, cheerios, cheese, ham, eggs, toast, and really pretty much anything.  I love the totally unencumbered eating habits of babies.

I have him using a sippy at meals now and he’s almost got the tipping it back aspect of it down, he’s figured out he needs to suck on the nozzle.  His bottles are half milk and half formula and I imagine after our formula runs out (another bag or two?) we will likely just switch him to milk and rice cereal.  I am trying to make the bulk of his meals actual meals now instead of bottles but I think I will probably do what I did with Eli and keep his morning bottle and nighttime bottle for a bit–the morning one because it’s easiest (and fastest) to get him fed when I have to be at work and the nighttime one because hey, this kid doesn’t sit still very often. We also need to break him of his pacifier soon–he gets it only to sleep or on long trips in the car but he is very adept with it.  It’s going to be an ugly few days when we get around to doing that but I don’t really feel like I’m in much of a hurry.

The first month or so of my work schedule is pretty packed–3 or 4 days a week which is more than I thought I would have but it’s part of the training process so I understand it.  They had initially told me I was scheduled for orientation for two days next week so Andy and I figured it would be safe to schedule the wedding for the end of the week.  My supervisor sent me the training schedule and it had every day next week scheduled–panic!  I emailed her to let her know what was going on and she was very understanding–said she didn’t expect us (they hired three others at the same time) to be able to make all of it since it was such short notice.  I really, really like her.  Anyhoo, I’ll be working quite a bit through August training and then by the end of August will start pulling shifts on my own if I feel comfortable.  How exciting!

The wedding is next Thursday and I am so excited!  It’s quite funny because it feels rather anticlimactic but at the same time I am so happy that this chapter will finally be closed (or a new one opening?) and I can have the same last name as the boys.  I really was not particular to changing my name but Eli has expressed that he would like me to have the same last name as the rest of them and I certainly wouldn’t mind either.   We always said we would get married when/if Eli expressed an interest/concern in it (if we hadn’t done it already).  It’s going to be a blast!

My Utah trip was great.  I flew into Salt Lake City on Wednesday morning and Mike and I drove to Moab that day.  We spent the next four days hiking.  We saw many, many landmarks and sweat a LOT.  It was pretty hot, 95 degrees + on most of our hikes.  I put on sunscreen EVERY HOUR (I am not exaggerating) and did not get a sunburn but whoa, I was pretty gross from layer of sunscreen + sand from sandstone/slick rock + layer of sunscreen + dirt/sand from hiking and repeat.  The hikes were tough but they were really amazing.  The hardest was a 7 mile hike in deep sand.  We started it at 2 (not smart, I know but we got lost twice on the way there) and finished around 6:30.  It was the Great Gallery hike.  It was so worth it.  We also hiked the Dead Horse Point hike (4-4.5 miles, middle of the day, gorgeous hike), the Delicate Arch, Devil’s Garden, Park Avenue, and drove into the La Sal mountains.  Utah is absolutely AMAZINGLY beautiful.

Utah also has really, really dry air.  I was somewhat prepared for this after my Vegas trip from a year or two ago whereupon I got quite ill with sinusy crud.  I bought a bottle of saline spray this time and packed it!  Although I’m sure it helped, it didn’t help much.  Within an hour of being in Utah, I was coughing, wheezing, and a sinus congested mess.  I figured out how to jerry rig humidifiers in hotel rooms (we stayed in motels Wednesday and Saturday) and the rest of the time I just alternated between Afrin and saline spray so I could breathe.  Even after being home a few days, I still have a gross cough and sinus issues so I think I probably developed a secondary something or other because of all the mess down there.  Oh well, it was still gorgeous!  Can’t keep me down!

Pink Eye Andy is back at work.  He’s at about 99% now.  He is totally fine except his left eyelid continues to swell, giving him a bit of a Thom Yorke look.  It’s not uncomfortable and hopefully it will go away soon

That’s all the news for now.  I hope everyone has had a good week and I look forward to seeing some of you soon!  New pictures are up!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: